Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SAMMY FORSON


He has one of the sleekest of voices on radio currently. He drives the ‘city’ home on his popular late afternoon programme on Citi 97.3 FM called ‘Citi Drive.’ He has a swagger that can be compared to a rapper, but Sammy Forson was quick to point how down to earth he his when he granted What’s On this exclusive interview.
Sammy is a full fledged Information Technology (I.T) expert, having trained at NIIT and IPMC in networking and hardware. So how did it start for an Information Technology graduate to become one of the popular voices on radio? “When I finished my computer courses, I lived in Kumasi for four years where I learnt how to assemble computers for radio stations. Anytime I finished installing the equipment, I tested them on air and based on this experience, I was made to stand in for a sick presenter at Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) station in Kumasi.
Radio was meant to be a part time job for Sammy Forson, but he is now into it full time. The six years he has spent in radio has been switched between Accra and the ‘Garden City’, Kumasi. He spent two years in Kumasi where he played jazz music and hosted the “Drive Time” at Garden City Radio. He is currently the anchor of “Citi Drive” on Citi Fm. This show, which starts from 3 to 7 pm, Mondays to Fridays is interlaced with personality interviews, playing of both local and foreign hits as well as listeners’ favourite, “Sammy’s Court” where he acts as a judge.
Born outside the shores of Ghana,—he was born in Zambia—Sammy Forson returned to Ghana at age sixteen. He attended Swedru Secondary School and also studied some courses at the Ghana Institute of Journalism. Even though he officially trained as an Information Technology engineer and he is now in radio, Sammy never dreamt of these two jobs when growing up. “I wanted to be a pilot when growing up. Even now when I have the chance to visit the airport I try to find out more about the profession. If I get the chance I will pursue it.”
Managing artistes alongside their radio work has been the hustle for presenters in Ghana in recent times, with popular presenters like Kofi Okyere Darko, Bola Ray, Dr. Duncan just to mention a few managing artistes in Ghana. Sammy Forson is also on this trail as he is the manager of the maiden “Appietus Idols” winner, Teelee Jay. He has also worked with Adez of “Mentor 2” fame and now defunct Ga rapper Kaseem. He says his job, when working with these musicians, is to help them to promote their albums and to counsel them on how to break into the music industry.
When he is not on air doing what he does best, sleek Sammy Forson loves to go to the beach to relax. Music has always been part of Sammy Forson’s life as he said: “I can sing, especially, in the shower.” Directing is also part of Sammy’s repertoire as he was part of his school’s drama club as a director. Despite his busy schedule, he does not trade his affection for his parents as he finds time to spend with them.
He might be on top of what he is doing now; he might have many younger ones looking up to him yet he also has mentors. Having been inspired by Joojo Lemaire, formerly with Joy Fm and now the Programmes Manager of Sky Power Radio in Takoradi, , Sammy also liked listening to Komla Dumor when he was the anchor of Joy Fm’s “Super Morning Show.” Bearing the same surname of ace broadcaster Tommy Annan-Forson (no family ties though), he describes Tommy as a father: “Tommy is more like a godfather to me. He keeps in touch with me and corrects me anytime I make a mistake on air.”
Where does Sammy Forson want to be in the next five years? “Hopefully married with my own company and I want to be bigger than what I am now by God’s grace.” Money they say motivates everything in this world but Sammy Forson’s love for radio is unflinching. “When you love what you do, you love it. For me if it’s about money, I will be in a different profession.”

No comments:

Post a Comment