Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ABLADE GLOVER’S 75TH BIRTHDAY ART EXHIBITION


The Artists Alliance Gallery in Accra has carved a niche for its self over the past few years as place where opportunities are offered to both local and international artists to exhibit their talents, therefore, the venue comes no better for famous Ghanaian artist, Professor Ablade Glover as he held an art exhibition to commemorate his 75th birthday in Accra recently.

The exhibition attracted a cross section of the media, art collectors, artists and some prominent personalities in legendary Ghanaian poet, Professor Atukwei Okai, the British High Commissioner to Ghana, Mr. Nick Westcott amongst others. Most of the paintings on display were abstract oil paintings done by the Professor over the years.

In a very simple yet well organized exhibition, the art fanatics around looked very satisfied with the works on display as many were seen discussing the beauty of one painting after the other. Out of the fifty-two (52) paintings that Professor Glover put on display, many were contemporary art blended with primitive settings like fisher folks, market women, and religious settings amongst others.

Professor Ablade Glover, who also doubles as the Director of the Artist Alliance Gallery, told What’s On the rationale behind the exhibition and the paintings as he said: “As an artist, I paint things that interest me and those are about women. I like their courage so as you can see, there are a lot of women in my paintings. I also like to paint things about spirituality though I wonder if they are real.”

“These paintings are works I have done over the years and I have selected the ones I really because as an artist you like all your works to portray my seventy-fifth birthday.” The exhibition, which was to celebrate the diamond jubilee, of perhaps one of the finest artists Ghana has ever produced lasted for thirty days.

No comments:

Post a Comment